Westfield FW400 (Feather Weight)
Now up for sale, this renowned Westfield FW400 is soon to be featured in Total Kit Car Magazine. It is not the first time it has featured in the motoring press having for example been road and track tested against Rob Gravett’s BTCC Honda.
This is one five cars built and chances are if you are reading this you already know a bit about them.
The FW400 was developed by Westfield and designed by Martin Ogilvie, famous for being Chief Designer at Lotus Formula 1 and his work with lightweight cars. The car was given the best of everything from Penske dampers to a Hewland LD200 5 speed gearbox (mounted at the back) which allows for flat changes. The full carbon composite monocoque resulted in a dry weight of 397KG’s and a chassis 4 or 5 times stiffer than a space framed seven.
The current owner has made improvements to the car, but has shown respect to the cars lineage. All the changes are reversible and the original parts kept safe to ensure the car can be taken back to the original specification. The modifications include:
- Custom exhaust to DVA Power spec with carbon Edwards Motorsport silencer
- New carbon bonnet with aero catches
- Tillet seats with custom branded head pads
- Dry sumped with a custom built oil tank to fit the chassis and the use an inspection hole for the oil filler and a custom engine mount to ensure the scavenge pump could be mounted without altering the chassis
- Numerous Titanium race spec nuts and bolts, many of them lock wired
- Jenvey individual throttle bodies
- Emerald K6 ECU
- New Rover K series VHPD developing 214 bhp (rolling roaded at NMS)
The full specification includes:
- Rover K series 1.8 engine with VHPD head
- Hewland LD200 straight cut dogbox
- Penske dampers
- Dry sump
- 3 sets of image alloys designed for the car, four tyres on the car and two new rear tyres.
- Front and rear adjustable ARBs.
The car has been painted white and the bottom is now carbon after the removal of the white wrap. This car was the only one manufactured with a carbon body (all the others have GRP bodies).
The remainder of the factory spares have been acquired and are sold with the car which includes wishbones, drive shafts, a Tilton 5.25 inch sintered clutch and 2.5 kg flywheel – useful if the new owner wanted to compete in the car, plus other unique parts. The original seats, carbon pre-preg bonnet, exhaust, the carbon headlights have been retained and are sold with the car.
To stress; the enhancements are 100% reversible and the dry sump system was engineered in a way that the monocoque was not touched.
The car is MOT’ed and needs to be seen and driven to be appreciated. PT’s, Ian Payne, has driven this car on track in the wet and was blown away by its performance. With the correct launch and flat changes this car will dip under 3 seconds to 60 mph!
The car has been really cared for by true enthusiasts for the last five years with really no expense spared.
For questions, viewings or any further information about this car please do get in touch.